Monday, October 13, 2014

Sunday 12th October

Last big group ride before the trip.  Tinkerbell and Dozer showed up at mine and we headed around to the heathcote and along the cut collecting Bugs at the footbridge along the way.  We headed around the towpath with me leading.  Nearly a collision at a blind corner as someone came towards us.  Phatboy was waiting at Ferrymead Bridge.  We then headed up St Andrews hill.  Bugs  ended up leaving the rest of us behind and I was tail end charley.  Still not on the pace but improving after my health issues.  Finally ground up to the singletrack above Upper Major Hornbrook.  Here we caught up with Sandals and Helmut.  Mellonfarmer was here chatting as he was on the way down from an early ride.  I followed Sandals up here as the others chatted.  We expected them to pass us but obviously we had enough of a head start not to panic.  Came up to the point where we make our own hairpin onto old John Brittain.  Sandals went straight ahead and I cleaned the hairpin and the rocks above it stopping around the corner for a regroup.  Sandals and Helmut went into the olg Greenwood entrance and waited at the ruins.  The rest of us headed around John Brittain (the track has had no work on it obviously since before the earthquakes) then down to the saddle and started the grind up Mt Pleasant.  Once again i kept up the rear.   Got to the top and headed straight down.  Everyone seemed to enjoy a quick blast down here and I had the best run I have had for a while.  Regrouped at the ruins.  Got started before another big group caught up but in the end they got in amongst us.  I had to stop for a call about gloomy gully and everyone continued.  I had an excellant run down here but buggered up the double rock section.  Still only 11am so we headed up Godley.  An ok run around here but still pretty spread out.  I  must admit my downhills were a lot better than my ups.  Everyone seemed to be happy with the experience.  Down the Anaconda at speed enjoying it all except  the last 2 hairpins.  Down the tail then a steady grind up Taylors.  Down to Sumner and a stop at Dot Com before the pedal back.  Home just after 1 feeling quite good.  I should be fine for the trip and the others all seem to be on form.  let the weather put on a good week.

No comments: